Sunday 22 April 2012

Exotic Dining; Review



I don't often do a lot when I go to my parents, nothing new anyway. I know where I like to eat and tend to avoid going out at all costs. I did however have a guest with me who wanted to see some sites. A shortage of 'interesting' restaurants in Kettering led me to an Indian. There are plenty of decent curry houses. After telling a current local about this plan they suggested exotic dining, a curry house with a difference.


I was informed booking was essential and as I was only 1 day out I'd be lucky to get a table. Luckily booking was easy. When we arrived this is because the place was only half full. 

We started to peruse the extensive menu after a swift look at the wine list that left a lot to be desired we opted for beer...nice and traditional. We decided on starters and mains with a couple of sides, vowing not to get poppadoms or naan bread in order to Keep our appetite. 

As soon as the waiter arrives of course this goes out of the window. 'Do you want a naan with that' errr yes?! And some poppadoms? Yes two please?! What is wrong with us! Said poppadoms arrived and were functional with a nice dippy twist. These were not your standard mango chutneys. They were lovely but all were lacking in a spicy kick. 



When our starters arrived they were presented beautifully. The rabbit was absolutely delicious, tender and perfectly flavoured (if you're wondering yes it does taste just like chicken!) the beef was flavoursome and the portions were just the right size, although now we were feeling pretty full after polishing off the poppadoms. For main we had venison and duck. The venison won hands down on presentation and taste. The duck was a little over done for me I like it pink, but it was curried so what do you expect? As predicted the rice (cumin) and naan absolutely killed us. We were totally stuffed and couldn't finish anything! What let downs. 





There was your standard choice of Indian restaurant deserts, orange filled with sorbet, pinky the plastic penguin and something with lychees. We opted to go without completely defeated. It was a nice change from your standard Indian restaurant. I like what they are doing to cater for the more adventurous and safe diners. 

Atmosphere: 2.5/5
Food: 3/5
Drink: 2/5
Overall: 2.5/5
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment