Wednesday 21 September 2011

I have a bowling deficiency

Not my words, the words of my bowling companion; "that's the nicest way I can say it, I'm not just going to turn around and say your bowling is shit." the latter is entirely accurate. I don't think I've ever bowled a worse game in my life. I don't think anyone in the world has ever scored less than me - 20 points. 20 sodding points, how? Seriously, how?

I swapped my shoes early on they were too big and distracting me. My pencil skirt was also blamed at one stage (not by me; "are you sure you can move in that?")

I was also told to relax, stop spinning your hand, get lower, get the ball over the line before you throw it, roll the ball...anyone else may have punched this bowling Houdini giving the orders, but I was actually trying. And with a grand score of 83 they weren't exactly one to talk.

This was an evening at All Star Lanes in Bloomsbury. The result of an evening of doing something that didn't involve getting slowly sozzled in a nice cocktail bar, although I maintain my bowling would have been far better had I been drinking. One I love New York cocktail to get the ball rolling as such although delicious was not the tonic to unlock my unlimited bowling potential.

Perhaps it is because I'm scared of bowling, have you ever accidentally stepped over the line? That floor is seriously slippy and I do not fancy hobbling around with a bruised coxix for a week.

Also I have long nails, nails I do not want rattling around inside a number 8. That is another thing, the lightest ball at my disposal was an 8, I'm pretty sure I normally use a 6. And 8 what anyhow?! It's not lbs, those things are heavy.

So bowling over, dignity shattered (well not really), dinner time. With my taste card it's 241 in all star lanes and the menu is good. I had however been to SOS (Smiths of Smithfield) earlier in the day for a deceptively filling mozzarella, olive, tomato, presto and rocket foccacia. Never the less the appetisers in ASL were too good to pass up. They were really nicely presented. We opted to share popcorn salt and pepper squid with chili jam and swordfish tacos. I wasn't expecting the tacos to be cold and they were a little disappointing. The squid however was delicious.

Popcorn Shrimp, I'm a sucker for corny presentation

Cold swordfish tacos
Now I have a thing about macaroni and cheese - one of my favourite comfort foods. The one in the diner (which I would consider a comparable restaurant) is excellent. On ordering I was prompted the mac and cheese is big. Damn it was going to be a struggle.

When it arrived I instantly felt my stomach shrink about 6 sizes I was never going to finish it. There was also a mini boat of marinara sauce on the side...strange! We ha ordered sweet potato fries on the side which were lovely, but even eating a couple of these I felt full. The macaroni lived up to expectation and the cheese was creamy and rich. When she came to take it away o was still picking, I wish now I'd asked to take it away or next day dinner...had I been in America I would...

Atmosphere: 3/5
Food: 3/5
Drink: 3.5/5
Overall: 3.5/5

I've rounded up as it was fun, but on a scale of 5 it's never going to be the best night you've ever had. Fun for pretty much every occasion though - date, friends, work...bowling is a winner even if you suck as badly as me.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment